Photos: Darcy Bacha
Summer has officially begun at Mount Hood. The jumps are salted, the towropes are turning, and campers are strapping in and learning new tricks. Session 1 just wrapped at Windells and it was a seriously sick start to the season. The mountain is completely white, with over 100 inches of snow more than usual, and the Windells Diggers have crafted one of their best parks ever: two separate jib areas and all of the jumps, hips, and quarters that your summer-shredding heart could desire.
The first Windells session was all about good weather, good riding, and good friends with session hosts, Johnny Lazz, Forest Bailey, Nial Romanek, and Will Bateman. The crew lapped all week under sunny skies, hitting more metal than a member of the United Steelworkers Union on an overtime shift. What you would expect to be true about a week at snowboard camp, definitely is: it’s the most fun you can have during the summer months. Beyond the awesomeness of shredding everyday, skating every night, and getting to play tons of on-campus games, here are the top five highlights from Session 1:
1. The new street section of the Concrete Jungle was unveiled: curbs, ledges, and a stairset, all thanks to Jamie Weller, Billy Coulon, and crew.
2. Forest held a pickle-eating contest for the second year in a row, this time with giant gherkins on strings and blindfolded campers. Winning campers walked away with prizes from Gnu, but the spectators might have had the most fun watching everyone
3. What’s better than drinking a smoothie of dinner leftovers made by Johnny Lazz? Watching Johnny drink it, too. Lazz, Forest, Will, and Nial plugged their noses and drank liquefied lasagna with the campers.
4. Lazz, Forest, Will, and Nial did a top to bottom run, lapping all of Timberline, through the lengthy Windells park, Public Park, and down to the base of the Magic Mile Lift. (see below)
5. The Neff RV came to camp and gave out free ice cream to all of the campers. Summer camp is the best.