From Big Bear:
Big Bear Lake, Calif. (Sept. 11, 2018) – Visitors traveling to Big Bear Lake during the 2018/19 winter season will be able to enjoy several upgrades, additions, and revisions aimed at enhancing their experience in town and on the ski slopes, including two new restaurants, lodging renovations, and facility and infrastructure upgrades at Big Bear Mountain Resort.
This winter marks the first full season for Big Bear Mountain Resort under the ownership of Alterra Mountain Company and will feature multiple product and facility updates, including the all-new Ikon Pass, a new kids and family facility at Bear Mountain, and multi-million-dollar investments in snowmaking and grooming infrastructure that will further solidify the resort's position as Southern California's premier winter sports destination.
In addition to the resort initiatives, there will be several new restaurants, activities, and lodging improvements in town for the 2018/19 season, including major renovations for two of Big Bear's most iconic properties – the Marina Resort and Black Forest Lodge.
Big Bear Mountain Resort
- Ikon Pass: The new standard in season passes offers access to 35 of the most iconic mountains across North America, Australia, and Japan, with unlimited skiing or riding at Bear Mountain and Snow Summit during the 2018/19 season starting at $699. The pass also includes unlimited access to Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows and Mammoth Mountain for skiers and snowboarders looking for a replacement to the Cali4nia Pass, with all BBMR local pass products still available as well.
- Bear Mountain Adventure Academy: The new 6,000 square-foot learning center in the Bear Mountain base area will serve as a one-stop shop for family and kids rentals, lift tickets, and sports school registration. The increased efficiency means families can spend less time in lines and more time enjoying the slopes. The facility is scheduled to open in mid-December and includes a dining venue serving artisan pizzas, full-service coffee bar, and spirits.
- Snowmaking & Grooming: Big Bear Mountain Resort is also investing $3.6 million in its snowmaking and grooming infrastructure, including new air compressors that will produce higher quality snow, two new Piston Bully snowcats, and new water pipelines, which will improve snowmaking capabilities at Bear Mountain and Snow Summit and provide a better on-hill experience for guests.
- Frusion: A new addition to the Village, this juice bar and smoothie joint serves healthy fare, including Acai and pitaya bowls, salads, and kombucha on tap with nitro coffee also available to energize your day in the mountains.
- Santana & Mavericks: Big Bear's newest sit-down offers lakeview patio dining at its best. Located just across Big Bear Blvd. from the lake, Santana & Mavericks features an eclectic menu, with Italian, Mexican and Asian-inspirations melded together to form a menu that will suit any palate.
- Marina Resort: One of Big Bear Lake's premier lodging properties is scheduled to undergo a multi-million dollar renovation this winter featuring the addition of a new restaurant, new lobby space, interior and exterior updates, parking lot reconfiguration, and new landscaping.
- Black Forest Lodge: Not to be outdone, the Black Forest Lodge will undergo a 6-month renovation, including remodels of several guests rooms that will create increased lodging capacity and construction of a new luxury wing featuring units with fireplace, spa, wet bar and king-sized bed.
- Zipline at Big Bear Alpine Slide: The new Soaring Eagle zipline will give guests another way to get their adrenaline fix, featuring side-by-side bucket-style seats that hang below the line with amazing lake views before descending through the canopy back down to the base area. Scheduled to open in mid-October, the line will operate year-round, weather permitting.
- Hot Dawgz & Hand Rails: The 2018/19 winter season officially gets underway on Sept. 22 at Bear Mountain with, "the largest winter kickoff party known to man." Now in its 15th year, the event is part snowboard competition, part music festival, featuring 50+ of the world's best snowboarders competing in a rail jam contest with live performances by the LINE (Volcom Entertainment) and AWOLNATION (Red Bull Records), vendor village, and lift ticket deals to get attendees excited for the upcoming season. Tickets are available at HotDawgzAndHandRails.com
with discounts available for 2018/19 season passholders, local residents, and active duty military and first responders.